REVIEW: Magnet Forensics - AX200 (OSP): Magnet AXIOM Examinations


"Listen, Newbie, You're not a completely, terribly, horribly incompetent doctor, and while I would never let any of my blood relatives be your patient, and if it was someone that I knew - an acquaintance - I might be okay with you treating them." - Dr. Perry Cox (Scrubs)

DISCLAIMER: THIS REVIEW IS OVER AX200 ONLINE SELF-PACED (OSP).  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS AX200 INSTRUCTOR LED.  PLEASE TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICE IN SELECTING WHICH COURSE IS BEST FOR YOU.

At this point, I've had AX100 as well as some training on Magnet AXIOM from a few outside sources.  I feel like I know how to use this program the same way that someone puts IKEA furniture together with nothing more than the picture on the box.  I know the tools that I have in front of me, and I know what the end product is supposed to look like, but how do I get from A to B?

Enter AX200 from Magnet Forensics.  I was in a bit of a time crunch (I had two weeks before my AX301 course, and AX200 is a prerequisite) so I elected to take the Online Self-Paced (OSP) course.  There are many pros and cons to taking the OSP course, and if you have the Magnet Training Access Pass (TAP) I would recommend taking both OSP and Instructor Led.

If you have a basic understanding of how computers work, you can probably jump straight into AX200.  I chose to go ahead and take AX100 prior to this course, and it helped, but wasn't 100% necessary.  If you plan to take the MCFE exam, I recommend taking both AX100 and AX200.

In AX200, you learn everything you need to know to conduct a basic examination.  There are a million additional things you can learn in some higher level course, but they are geared towards particular niches.  

The course is divided into 14 modules with a course evaluation at the end.  Here is an outline of the course modules covered in AX200:

AX200 (OSP) Course Modules
Module 1 - Course Introduction and Magnet AXIOM Installation
Module 2 - Evidence Processing and Case Creation
Module 3 - Operating System
Module 4 - Web Related
Module 5 - Refined Results
Module 6 - Email
Module 7 - Documents
Module 8 - Media Artifacts
Module 9 -  IMobile Artifact Analysis
Module 10 - Chat
Module 11 - Cloud
Module 12 - Encryption and Anti-Forensic Tools
Module 13 - Reporting
Module 14 - Cumulative Review Exercise

As you can see there is a LOT of information to go through.  You can speed through this course in a day if you chug along, or you can spread it out over five (5) days without causing you brain to go squish like grape.  I managed to get though this course in three (3) days in between my daily duties.  The best part is the ability to pause when you need to step out.  Long gone are the days of waiting for an official break to go pee.

As with AX100, I find a flaw in the OSP courses to be that there is no validation method for the material you covered. You can watch all of the videos and complete the review exercises, but there are no quizzes or final exam to test your knowledge. There are also no CPE credits given for AX200 OSP.

If you have the TAP, AX200 is a great way to refresh yourself from the AX200 Instructor Led course. I did this in reverse, but I'll be taking AX200 Instructor Led before my TAP runs out.

CPE: Not Offered for OSP Courses
Total Cost: $2,999.00 excl. Tax or FREE with Magnet TAP (Training Access Pass)


Bye Felicia!

RB4N6

Comments